Texas A&M is a school of traditions. Most of them come from the long-standing Corps of Cadets. And many of their origins are still not fully understood by us non-regs...
One important senior tradition, Elephant Walk, happens every year during the week of the last football game. I've heard several different renditions of how it began, but here's the one I like the best.
During their last days, elephants wander about looking for a place to die. That last week marks the "death" of the senior class (symbolically!), since it's the end of their last football season and graduation is fast approaching. So, just like the elephants wander, all the seniors who wish to participate gather into a huge group and wander about campus visiting meaningful Aggie landmarks (Bonfire memorial, Kyle Field, certain statues, etc.).
Now, due to a doctor's appointment, I was unable to participate in the actual walk. But the good thing about college is that big events are often preceded by free food and tshirt sales! I gladly took part of both of these with two of my roommates. Also, there are real elephants there!
I didn't actually get to watch the last football game (in which we BTHO t.u., whoop!) because we were at the lakehouse at the time (see Thanksgiving post). Which meant we didn't have internet or ESPN. However, my dad was attempting to get updates on his iPhone, and Travis was texting me every time anything important happened. I almost felt like I was watching it. :)
But I was okay with that, because my last home football game made for an incredible ending to my senior season! I have never heard the Twelfth Man so loud before. It was a NCAA student attendance record, an overall attendance record for Kyle Field, and our second home game in a row to beat a top 10 ranked team.
Completely packed stadium! Our ears were ringing for hours...
Everyone started mobbing the field when we won.
I love this picture.
Still filling up...
We took pictures on Kyle Field.
Travis' and Laura's feet, haha.
I'm guessing this was to get the score in the background.
I think that weekend was the beginning of my understanding that everything is winding down. My penultimate semester is coming to a close (ha, little grammar reference for you...my friends in Greek will understand). I'm sure there will be more sentimental posts to come- this one is mainly regarding football and Aggieness. But it has been a blast, and I was so proud of my Aggies this season! Thanks for giving me such a high note to end on, boys. :)
Seniors, a-whoop! :)











Hey now, don't forget the Cotton Bowl! Not that any of us can afford the insanely-expensive tickets, of course. But we Ags will still BTHO LSU!
ReplyDeletePshh, ears ringing for hours...try days.
ReplyDelete