Suffice it to say, the past month has been a whirlwind. I graduated May 13, we got married May 21 (yay!), went on our honeymoon, came back to attend another wedding, went to a church conference, and then arrived back in College Station precisely one week ago today...just in time to start work again and try to navigate our way around our wreck of a condo! Yeesh.
However, we actually have MOST of our stuff put away in cabinets and drawers now! Well, at least in the kitchen. We're still missing a dresser, which is at Travis' parents' house. We're also still missing our couch and lots of our decorative stuff, since a lot of my things are still at my apartment here in town. It's been kind of funny- since I still have a key, I can just go over there whenever and let myself in to hang out or pick things up...I've even used the pool once, hehe.
I'm so excited to get the rest of our home in order and decorate it! But even with bare walls (and a floor full of empty boxes waiting to be taken to the recycling center), I realized tonight that I'm really starting to feel like this is our home. Probably has something to do with the fact that I'm sitting here with a glass of wine writing this, and afterwards I'm going to watch Love Actually. No organizing or errands (there have been plenty of those!). Just normal activities. I just thought, "Hey, I live here. We live here. We're actually married!"
In the near future, I plan to post about: graduation, "Wedding Week," the actual wedding day, and the honeymoon! As well as other random events like changing my name, making a budget, etc. However, I want to wait on the wedding until the professional pictures come back, so all this stuff may be in a weird order. :) Just keeping you on your toes...
For now, I'll leave you with the first meal we cooked together in our new home!
One reason we knew living together would be fun is that though neither Travis nor I are vegetarians, we like to pretend we are at least 50% of the time. (And I guess since he's lactose intolerant, that makes us almost pretend-vegan sometimes...)
I subscribe to a food blog called Stone Soup. It's written by a woman who specializes in 5-ingredient meals, many of which are vegetarian. (The five ingredients don't count things like olive oil, salt, or pepper, in case you go look at it and are like "Hey, Ginny, you liar.") Plus she's into stuff like making your own peanut butter. (Yes, now you know...we are pseudo-granola and plan to do things like make our own hummus. We also wear Chacos.)
So one week, Jules (the author of Stone Soup) posted a menu of 5 vegetarian meals that only use 10 ingredients between them, and we decided to try it this week! So here was our first meal. :)
Recipe as posted on Stone Soup:
zucchini ‘cabonara’ recipe
serves 2
serves 2
4 zucchini (courgettes) sliced into rounds
4 egg yolks, at room temperature
2 handfuls parmesan cheese + extra to serve
2 large handfuls salad greens
1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Heat a few tablespoons olive oil in a large frying pan (skillet). Add zucchini and cook over a medium heat, stirring occasionally until the zucchini is tender and lightly browned – about 8 minutes
2. Meanwhile combine yolks and cheese in a large bowl.
3. Toss the hot zucchini in with the egg mixture and stir well. If the sauce is too runny, pop in the microwave for a few minutes.
4. Combine lemon juice with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season and toss leaves.
She suggests eating the zucchini over hot pasta, which we decided to try. It was really good! However, if you want to use pasta, I would caution you to cut the zucchini down to 2 or 3. Unless you love leftover zucchini. :)
The zucchini are taking over! But they sure were tasty. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment