22 February 2011

Well, hello.

Hi there, world. I apologize for the two-week hiatus. I don't remember being that busy, but apparently I have been.

I have several posts in mind to update you on recent craft projects and life events, but I'll start with the most recent- the Austin (Half) Marathon!

Don't get too excited...I don't actually run. At all. But I do happen to live with one dedicated runner and to be marrying another one. Who happened to have trained together for this half-marathon. So, off I went to Austin, like the wonderful roommate and fiancée that I am. ;) (I mean, I figured they would at least need someone to drive them the two hours home after running 13.1 miles. And though I would have to get up at 5:00 a.m., I would also get to eat a lot of pasta. In Austin.)

We headed over on Saturday and went straight to this convention center for them to pick up their packets.

So official.

We then wandered around the giant running expo for a while, picking up lots of free energy bars and granola, then headed to our hotel, where Laura's family was hanging out.

We knew we wanted pasta for dinner, but also knew places like Olive Garden and Spaghetti Warehouse would be packed. So, with the help of my trusty phone, I looked up Italian restaurants in Austin and we picked a random place with good reviews: the Tree House Italian Grill. It was such a cool restaurant! It's built underneath this ginormous live oak tree that is estimated to be over 700 years old. (Puts the Century Tree to shame...haha.) They have both indoor and outdoor seating, so we got to eat outside on the patio underneath the tree! There's a clear roof to keep leaves from falling in your food, and it's decorated with all these little lights and candles. There are a few garden patio areas, too. It's just really neat. And the food was delicious.

Us by the giant tree. It doesn't look so giant, but it is.

Travis' artsy picture.

After dinner, we ran a few essential errands, such as a trip to Anthropologie for Laura to use her giftcard, and a stop at Whole Foods to purchase some bananas. After enjoying a cookie cake in honor of Laura's birthday the previous week, we went to bed. Really early.

Cookie-cake Laura running on her nubs...

And then, we got up. Really early. It was made easier by dancing around to the Black Eyed Peas while we were getting ready.

Woohoo!

Our hotel was a little less than a mile from the starting line, so we just walked over. After waiting in a really long portapotty line, they were finally off! For the next two and a half hours, Laura's mom and I walked briskly around the downtown area, finding different spots to cheer our runners on. (We like to think that we did our own 10K that day.) I also happened to see a few friends whom I didn't know were running!

The race started at the Texas Capitol Building.

So excited!

Crazy people at 7 a.m.

Travis looks like he's praying for strength.

Finally starting to run!

Finish line.

The aftermath of water breaks...yes, those are paper cups everywhere.

People I don't know, but cheered for anyway.

I really didn't think I'd have as much fun as I did. I still don't feel the urge to run one, but I at least understand now why someone would want to run a marathon or a half, or any race at all. It was a neat little community, and those of us on the sides just ended up cheering for everyone, because they were all working hard!

Finished!

Tired...

...just kidding. I look more tired than he does.

After a required visit to Kerbey Lane for breakfast food, some showers and naps, and two more hours of driving, we made it back home. And that is how I spent my weekend. :)

1 comment:

  1. I was glad to see you at the race! We also went to Kerby Lane after the race! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete