So, you may ask yourself, how am I filling all my free time with only one class, two days a week? Originally, I had just planned to work more hours at my job on campus (I work at the humanities research center). But a few things changed.
Many of you know that my church in Bryan (St. Luke's UMC) is small...small enough that it only had two full-time staff: Jason, the senior pastor, and DeAndre, the associate pastor. DeAndre and his wife Kelsey began discerning in November that God was calling them to move to Houston to work at this particular church. He had gotten other offers in the past, but this one was different. It was like the job was made for him, and they just felt right about it, even though they were sad to leave us.
To make a long story short, it was determined that DeAndre's duties could be broken down into four part-time jobs, one of which was worship design and volunteer coordination. St. Luke's asked me if I wanted that job, and I accepted. So I am now taking 3 hours in school and working 2 part-time jobs (3 if you count the fact that I'm babysitting once a week!).
I've been working at the church since mid-January, but last week was really the first week to plan worship without Dre there. I think it went pretty well overall. This job is different from anything I've ever done. Some parts come naturally, and some parts are more challenging. (And I've got big shoes to fill, for sure.) I've made a few mistakes and I know I'll make some more, but I'm already learning so much. And honestly, there is nowhere else I'd rather be working than in this community that I love! I was already up there a lot anyway, doing various tasks...now I just get paid. ;)
Plus I get to work with two of my favorite people. Jason is one. The other is my BFFL Brad, who was hired for the worship band director position. We've been friends for a long time but we've never planned worship services together, so it's something new. I don't work well alone, so it's really great to have Brad so we can bounce ideas back and forth and get each other's opinions about things.
(High skool photo.)
I mean, really. Who wouldn't want to work with us?
So. There is a whirlwind update about what occupies my days! I hope you feel more informed, and not more bored, than when you started reading. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment