10 November 2010

I need help!

I think I already made a post with a title similar to this one, and there will probably be more to come. :)

My next dilemma: wedding makeup.

Yeesh.

I really don't wear much makeup at all on a normal basis- concealer always, mascara some days, and eyeliner when I am doing something particularly fancy. I do know how to apply eye makeup, and I can do it, so that's not really my concern. Being so pale, I don't need it to be very dark or dramatic, anyway.

My problem is foundation or base or whatever you want to call it. I never wear it. Ever.
And I don't particularly want to wear it for my wedding. I want to look like myself, which is also what Travis wants. I was definitely planning on wearing more than my normal amount of makeup, but I don't want to look like this fake person.

However, I'm also concerned about whatever I wear staying on the whole day long and looking good in pictures. Then again, I didn't wear any extra makeup in our engagement pictures, and I think my features show up fine in those. (I promise I will post about them soon! I'm just being lazy...)

Lastly, I just really don't like anyone else doing my makeup. I always end up looking like a hooker. I know a professional wouldn't make me look like a hooker...but still. I never end up looking like me.

So, I suppose these are my options:
1. Do my makeup myself, get knowledgeable friends to help me, and look up tricks to help everything stay on through the whole ceremony/reception.
2. Same as #1, but first have an appointment with a professional makeup artist and have him/her tell me tips for doing it myself. Also consider using some of their suggested products.
3. Get a professional to do on the actual wedding day.


What do you think? Please comment!

5 comments:

  1. go to a professional BEFORE the wedding for a practice run, and in your consultation be VERY clear about how natural you want to look, even if it seems diva-ish you have to be pretty pushy with some make up artists. going in advance will let you know if that person will do what you want them to and then you can book with them for your wedding. if not pure minerals has a great line of VERY light weight make up that still gives you coverage without looking like you have it on.

    good luck with all those preparations ginny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a pro make-up artist do mine for the wedding, and I have to say it was a GIANT weight off my shoulders to not be worried about that on the morning of the wedding. I just at in a chair and she did it for me!

    BUT, I did have two trial runs with her before the wedding (one at her studio, and then again for my bridal portraits), so I got a few chances to tell her what I wanted to change, and by the day of the wedding I was confident that she could make me look like me. :)

    Really I think you just have to decide what's best for you... my only advice would be to make sure you have some sort of powder with you during the day so your skin doesn't end up shiny in pictures, and remember that make-up looks less dramatic on camera than it does in real life, so you might want to play it up a little more than you normally would!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Due to my vast expertise in facial make-up application, you should listen to my expert opinion and try to look something like this:

    http://tinyurl.com/279tcm7

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that it would take a weight off, but if you do go with:
    option 1- Bare Minerals is a good look natural powder that a friend's sister used to do her own wedding makeup.
    option 2- I think you can go to Clinque or another one of the places in the mall and have them do your makeup for free (or maybe you just have to buy one of the products, it has been a long time) and I am sure they can give you tips.

    Oh, and Brad...great suggestion. haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha I'm having flashbacks of that concert freshman year of high school. Sorry, that's not particularly helpful, it just made me chuckle :)

    If you want to have someone else do it, I definitely agree that you should do a test run. The only thing I would keep in mind is how much stress you'll have doing it yourself with help and how much you'll worry that someone else is going to have you looking like a lady of the night.

    I would see if you can just set up an appointment and see how you like the person. If it looks awesome, then you're done (yay!). Otherwise you could just practice doing it yourself with friends.

    So basically, what they all said, minus Brad (although I guess that did come up a bit with the nostalgia...)

    ReplyDelete