I realize I didn't talk about Christmas very much. That's because it was pretty calm and quiet at my household this year. I actually spent Christmas Eve Day with Travis' family, which they were treating as Christmas because his dad had to work the next day. It was nice to be a part of their little celebration. :)
Mom and I went to the Christmas Eve service that night. Highlight: when she broke that little plastic cup that goes around the candle to catch wax drippings. I think I was shaking the pew trying not to laugh.
We opened presents like usual on Christmas morning, then Travis came over and hung out, as well as my set of grandparents who lives here in town. We ate snacky things, then my grandparents left and the rest of us napped for like 3 hours (wonderful). And we went to see True Grit-- unknowingly, on opening day. I have never seen so many cowboy hats in one place. (I felt rather out of place in my new Converse shoes.)
Part B: Wedding-related.
We're currently in the middle of honeymoon-planning and registering! So you'll get to hear all about that stuff soon. :) We would be done with registries by now, but we've run into a few snafus. The current problem is that most things at Dillard's are on clearance after the holidays. You can't register for anything on clearance, since it'll be gone by the time your guests come to buy it. Makes sense.
Unfortunately, most of the things we wanted were on sale...so we're just going to wait a few weeks and go back. I may or may not have had one of my first wedding meltdowns in Dillard's at that point. I'm blaming the birth control. And the fact that we had not eaten lunch and it was almost 2:00. (If you know me well, you know that I eat "like six meals a day," as Jason nicely puts it.) But it's all good-- we've got plenty of time.
Fortunately, the honeymoon plans will be resolved much sooner! We're going to see our travel agent again tomorrow, and should have made a decision by the end of that visit. :) I'm excited!
AND I now have two really good friends (Mallory and Rachel) who are both engaged! Mallory and Hunter live in town, so we got to throw an engagement party for them. Plus we all knew that it was coming ahead of time, except Mallory. :)
Mal and Hunter at their engagement party.
Her ring!
We tried to make her lay across our laps, but she didn't really want to.
Hunter was more obliging.
The other newly-engaged couple, Rachel and Scott, don't live here, but they were passing through the other day and Trav and I got to have coffee with them. It was only the second time I'd gotten to meet Scott, so it was fun to talk to him some more and to see Rachel for the first time in several months! I'm so excited for both couples! :)
Part C: New Year's Eve.
My roomie/bridesmaid Carly is a top-notch party planner, and she offered to host a bunch of us at her house for New Year's Eve. She later decided that the theme should be "Party Like It's 1999." AKA, we all need to dress like 90's kids...which we were. Ha. It was definitely the first decades-themed party I'd been to where I found everything at my house (excepting glitter nail polish and a couple of scrunchies. The guy at CVS looked at me a little askew when I purchased them.).
Friends since Kindergarten...and this is really what we looked like then...
Plaid flannel + "Cougar" school spirit. From different elementary schools. :)
Spice Girl Carly, showing off the super-cool doorbell she had outside her room in the 90's.
My 90's-tastic jewelry and nails. I also had on half of a legit "Best Friends" necklace...
Me and Travis. Don't know why I'm standing on one foot.
Carly put together a mix of songs from our childhood that was playing the whole time. We ate yummy food, played Taboo, and watched a few New Year's episodes of Friends (how much more 90's can you get?). When it came time for midnight, we couldn't find what channel the Times Square ball-drop was on! Running down to the wire (20 seconds to go), we settled for the Spanish channel, and we all toasted and wished each other a "Feliz 2011."
It was a great night with great friends! This is going to be a big year and I know I'll get stressed out at times with so much going on. But it helps me to think about how blessed I am to go through all these experiences--graduation, wedding preparation, marriage, new jobs--with such wonderful people in my life. I can't help but be grateful, joyful, and hopeful! :) Here's to 2011!
No comments:
Post a Comment