23 September 2010

Bridal shows mean lots of cake.

As you may have guessed, there's been a bit of a wedding lull lately. Not that there's a lack of things to do, of course. I think the most difficult step of figuring out any part of the wedding is actually starting to research and narrow down choices. We got a little assistance with that this weekend, when my bridesmaids and I attended the Brazos Valley Bridal Association expo.

I know. So much wedding stuff and so many women, right? It could be a little scary.

I liked the BVBA immediately, since the first thing they did was give me a pink tote bag and a little pin that said "Bride." It was really weird to go up to the registration table, have them ask "Who's the bride?" and say "Oh, that's me." Weird in a good way, of course. :) I think that made it seem even more real than trying on wedding dresses did!

Me with my newly-acquired pin and bag.

Close-up of the pin. I was just really excited. Lame, I know.

Another neat thing: instead of making you fill out alll your information on a little card every. single. time you went to a booth, you gave these ladies your information at the beginning and they printed it out on little labels for you. Pretty clever.

So, after my bridesmaids stopped goofing around, we finally went in...

The funny part is that this isn't posed. It's actually what she does when she's thinking. :)

We were basically there to look at three things:
1. Groom's cake. It was determined that it might be asking a little much for Carly S. to make a bajillion cupcakes and a groom's cake, drive them to Texas from Oklahoma, and then frost them once she got here. I sort of love her, you know, and don't want her to die of exhaustion and stress. :) So we're going to attempt to get a groom's cake somewhere in town.
2. Flowers. We had already had a meeting with one florist the day before and had another appointment scheduled (a post about those is forthcoming), but we wanted to make sure there weren't any other places we'd like to look at.
3. A place for renting linens-n-things. (Hardy har har.)

So, in essence, I have pictures of cakes and flowers. (I didn't think a bunch of pictures of tablecloths would be too enthralling.) And I'm mainly going to post the cake ones, since that's what we've yet to decide on...and we're not actually using flowers from any place that I took a picture of.

The first bakery table we stopped at was actually a husband and wife team who work out of their house, which is cool. The cake was good, but the most memorable part of the table was the cake they had on display with Stuie from Family Guy on it:

There he is...eating the cake. The other side was really fancy.


The above picture is Bakery #2. The Superman one was amusing, but otherwise, these didn't particularly wow me. The interesting thing, however, is that they have a banana chocolate chip cake that is apparently quite popular. I knew that was something Travis would really like...and after all, this is his cake.


Here's the table for Bakery #3, a company I had recommended to me by someone...I can't quite remember who. Their decoraters were having a contest- they each did one of these cakes and we were supposed to vote on our favorite. Bet you can't guess which one I voted for. :)


All the cake at this show was very tasty, but I have to say that when it comes to taste + appearance, Bakery #3 was my personal favorite.

At this point, sadly, Carolyn and I had to leave...but my other two trusty bridesmaids carried on and went to one last cake table. The chocolate cake was described to me as "very fudgy."

A pic from Bakery #4. I thought this was pretty cool.

So, as you can see, we have several places to taste test- whoop! That didn't sound very good to me at the end of the bridal show- I was all caked out. Unfortunately, it can happen.

Do you like our cake hats?

There's a little more to add about the show- but I'll leave it for another post so you'll keep reading! :)


1 comment:

  1. I appreciate the cake mercy :) This way I get to focus on making the cupcakes deliciously wonderful. Plus there's less likelihood of a caffeine overload, which is better for everyone involved...

    ReplyDelete