27 July 2010

The Weekend of Weddings PLUS new email subscription option!

Despite getting lost many times, our wedding-packed weekend was largely a success! Both weddings were a lot of fun- the first was my oldest cousin on my dad's side (and actually my first cousin to get married), and the second was a family friend.

We had a first-stressful-but-later-funny moment with the Saturday wedding, which was actually held in a chapel at Fort Hood. Since it's a military base, we had to get put on this big list beforehand, with our social security numbers and all sorts of information. You also have to present an ID at the main gate before they'll let you inside the complex. My dad had driven from Tyler to College Station to pick me up that day, and then from our hotel to Fort Hood...when, lo and behold, we discovered that he didn't have his driver's license! It was at home in the bag under his bike. We figured an insurance card might be enough to get him inside. Wrong.

Grumpy Gate Man: I need a state or federal ID, sir.
Dad: This is a state ID- it's XXX insurance company of Texas.
Grumpy Gate Man: I need a picture.
Dad: Look, these are all the cards I have...
Mom, sounding very upset and showing the gate guy the invitation: We're going to a WEDDING! We're on the list!
Grumpy Gate Man: Can't let you in without a picture ID.

We were prepared to take Dad back to the hotel and show up late at the ceremony...and he wouldn't even have been able to come to the reception, because it was also inside the base! Luckily, this nice younger man came out in the midst of our drama and directed us to pull over. After a few minutes, Nice Gate Man came up and told us we were "good to go." Thank you, sir, whoever you are.

So, now you know: if you're going to a wedding at Fort Hood, always bring your license. (Also, it's generally a good idea to carry it when you drive...)

After that brief adventure, everything else went smoothly and the wedding was beautiful. I'm pretty sure my whole extended family got up and danced together at some point, including my 84-year-old grandma. (She just sort of marched in place.)

Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera at Victoria's wedding (my cousin), and I didn't take pictures at Ben's (my friend). My favorite thing about Tori's, though, were the origami cranes. The reception centerpieces were tree branches in vases of moss-looking material, and from every branch were hanging little origami cranes.


This isn't their wedding, but you get the idea. I liked hers better. :)

Also, behind the head table, there was an archway covered in deep purple cranes. They were all made by my cousin, my aunt, and my grandma (who is Japanese). Tori lived in Japan for a year and loves Asian stuff, so it really fit her personality. Also, I know there's a legend about making 1000 paper cranes and having a wish come true, or something like that. I'm sure she knows about it. Anyway, it was really neat. :)

The wedding the next night was lovely, too. Originally, the couple had reserved a historic mansion in Austin...but after they contracted, it was struck by lightning and part of it burned. The wedding was still held on the grounds, but they set up one of those air-conditioned tents with clear sides for the reception, and it was all lit up and pretty inside. The ceremony was actually held outside on the lawn, which was gorgeous with their white chairs and white canopy and deep red roses. Of course, in ironic fashion, it had started pouring around 3:00 that day in Austin, and all I could think was the elements were causing this bride a lot of problems! But the rain went away and actually made the weather a lot cooler, and everything turned out quite well. And we had a great time seeing those wonderful friends of our family!


This isn't the mansion, but it's another house on the grounds where the bridal party got ready. The bride and groom also made their exit out its front door down the sidewalk, which was lined with wedding guests holding sparklers.

Andd, in between those weddings...I bought a wedding dress! I won't be posting pictures of it, obviously. But I really really like it. I feel comfortable in it, so I know I won't be self-conscious about how I look on our special day. And it fits my criteria! That's as much info as I'll give you. :)

I was really nervous before my appointment, for some reason, but I relaxed quickly. My consultant was named Lisa, and she was super sweet. I looked through a catalogue and picked out three dresses, and she chose more for me to try on, judging by the first three styles I had picked. She did a great job! I felt like she really understood what I wanted, and she said I had done a good job at choosing styles that would complement my figure and such. I felt proud. And the dress fits well- it will only take a few minor alterations! I didn't expect to find one on my first trip, and in less than two hours...but then again, my mom ended up buying the first dress she ever tried on. Like mother, like daughter, I guess. We also bought a veil.

We did end up spending more money on the dress than I had planned, but Mom was okay with the price (and it's her money!). She said that the combination of my expenses (dress, veil, slip, etc.) was still less than what all of hers were...in 1983! (She also claims that, since fashion comes around in cycles, my daughter will want to wear her wedding dress...which is quintessential eighties with the large puff sleeves. We shall see.)

On the way back from Austin on Monday, Travis and I got to go to Kerbey Lane and eat delicious pancakes, then go to IKEA. I love love love IKEA. We wish we could register at one, but we're not sure that's practical, since most of our people live in Tyler, College Station, and the surrounding areas. Maybe we could pick just a few things, for those guests who frequent Dallas, Austin, or Houston...

Last but not least...I've made an addition on this blog that will allow you to subscribe by email if you want. If you look to the right of the posts, you will see a box to enter your email. You'll receive an email that requires you to "activate" your subscription by clicking a link, and then you should begin receiving emails whenever I post!

Of course, if this method isn't for you, feel free to keep checking back here as methodically or sporadically as your heart desires. :)

2 comments:

  1. Ginny! you have a blog! Yay! Wedding blogging is such fun... check mine out!

    spiralsandspatulas.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so stinkin excited about your dress!...and the email subscription :)

    ReplyDelete